Friday, June 6, 2014

Fall in Love, stay in love, and it will decide everything.

The wisdom of Fr. Pedro Arrupe, S.J., 


SU Voice
Nothing is more practical than finding God, than falling in Love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you do with your evenings, how you spend your weekends, what you read, whom you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude.


Fall in Love, stay in love, and it will decide everything.


Consider asking yourself these questions:

•           Who do I spend my time with?

•           What do I spend my time doing?

•           Where do I feel pulled or drawn in in my life?

•           Where do I feel expectations pushing me, 
             like I “should” rather than “want” to do?

•           How do I see God active in my everyday life?

What if we looked at our lives as one big unfolding endeavor of love, where what we chose to be and do was out of a place of love?  Imagine how generative we would be with our talents, skills, and pursuits if we could intentionally listen how to God (Love) is calling us to become our true selves. 

One great tool for listening to God is to examine our lives at the end of each day.  
Saint Ignatius taught a technique known as Examen to accomplish this 
– go ahead, give it a try!

1. Become aware of God’s presence. 
    Pause for a few moments to be quiet and still.

2. Review the day with gratitude. 
    Take a moment to give thanks for all that you experienced as gift.

3. Pay attention to your emotions. 
    Scan the day and see where your energy was life-giving or life-draining.

4. Choose one feature of the day and pray from it. 
    Identify where you would like to grow and change.

5. Look toward tomorrow. 
    Ask for the light or grace needed to live more fully next time.

Fall in Love, stay in love, and it will decide everything.


No comments: