Friday, March 27, 2020

The Virus "Stay at Home" - 30 Day Retreat - Day 6

A Time for Devils and Goblins - Official Site | CSLewis.com

My daughter sent this to me today - wow!

C.S. Lewis wrote something back in 1942 that is absolutely shocking. This is from is wonderful book The Screwtape Letters.  Satan and Jesus were having a conversation. 

"SATAN: I will cause anxiety, fear and panic. I will shut down business, schools, places of worship, and sports events. I will cause economic turmoil."

JESUS: I will bring together neighbors, restore the family unit, I will bring dinner back to the kitchen table. I will help people slow down their lives and appreciate what really matters. I will teach my children to trust me and not their money and material resources!"

WHOA. I've been praying for new perspective (HIS perspective) in 2020. He is answering that prayer mightily... in a way I could never have imagined.

This is a strange time. A time when we are being called to be teachers, chefs, housekeepers, managers, coaches, grandparents, cheerleaders, and spouses of the year! And I also think that we are being called to be faithful followers of the CREATOR of the universe... the One who is all knowing, all powerful and IS IN THIS pandemic... the One who loves us deeply & holds us! 

I've been praying Psalm 91 everyday (... for 91 days with Young Life - praying for healing and full restoration to the earth). The whole psalm is powerful... but clinging to verses 9-11. 

"If you say, 'The Lord is my refuge,' and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways."

Be at peace dear friends.  This will pass.  And strangely enough we just may be better off for this experience. 


Prayer:  Pray a rosary for all the members of our parish.

Action:  Call someone who is living alone. 



No comments: