Friday, July 16, 2021

Jesus was going through a field of grain on the sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick the heads of grain and eat them. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “See, your disciples are doing what is unlawful to do on the sabbath.”   Matthew 12:1-3

The Pharisees so often seem to completely miss the point.

Imagine you had a birthday party for your little daughter. Imagine as she unwrapped each gift and she kept the wrapping paper and threw away the gift - she trashed it. 

That’s what the Pharisees were doing.  They were turning religion into something  God never intended it to be. They were keeping the wrapping paper (God’s laws) and trashing the gift (God’s love).

The question for each one of us today is: Do I do that?  

Do we realize that religion is not a set of rules to be followed but a life of love to be lived?

I try very hard not to mix religion and politics. But when I think of that question – “Do I do that?” If I’m being honest with you all, I think about our country’s immigration problems. Yes, laws are being broken, but I’ve been to the shelters and seen Moms and Dads, with absolutely nothing but the clothes on their backs, holding their beautiful little children who they have walked with for weeks to bring to a place where they can thrive and be safe.

And I hear the words of Jesus ringing in my ear … “I desire mercy.”  


No comments: